Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thoughts of a Cowboy: That’s livin’ right there

I remember when I was about 13 years old I was staying with my grandparents for the summer with my bother and cousins.  The boys in the family were supposed to help Grandpa in the field and learn what it took to run a farm.  That summer was great!  It was hot, we were outside all day long and then the cool night would come and we boys would stay up late telllin’ stories and laughing till our stomachs hurt.  One day Grandpa took us out and had us load the pick-up with huge hay bales.  My cousin and I were riding in top of the bales having a great time, paying no attention to what was going on.   We were facing backwards with our feet hang’ down.  When we turned around we froze.  Grandpa was driving the truck right under a huge tree branch that was going to skim the top of the bales and shave us right off the back.  My cousin Les and I started screamin’ our heads off trying to get Grandpa to stop.  But he just kept right on drivin’ and before we knew it that tree branch bushed us off the top of those bales and we found ourselves sittin’ on our butts in the dirt, watchin’ Grandpa drive off without us.  After a second or two of confusion and shock my cousin and I started laughing so hard we couldn’t stand up.  It wasn’t but a few minutes later that that rusty old truck was headed our way and Grandpa found us lyin’ our backs, still laughin’ our heads off.  To this day I still chuckle when I think about that whole situation.  That’s livin’ right there.  Those are memories that will never leave me behind; great memories with my cousins, my grandpa, and great summer stent on the farm.  I learned more that summer than any other time in my life and will forever smile when I look back on it!  
~K.D.~

No comments:

Post a Comment