Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Snowy Tradition

A story four you~
“When I was six years old I was warm and cozy, cuddled in my bed.  It was about 2 am and suddenly I heard a voice call my name.  I sat up in bed, a little startled, and saw a silhouette in my door way, a dim light warming the hall.  The person in the door was my sister, she had her coat, hat, and mittens on.  “Come here” she said.
She was home from college for Thanksgiving.  I walked to her as she stood in the hallway with a grin on her face.  She stuffed a hat on my head and put my coat on me.  I was so confused, but excited too.  She took my hand and led me to the kitchen.  Sitting on the table was a box of donuts and two steaming cups of hot chocolate. 
“Come on!” she squealed.  She handed me a cup and grabbed the donuts along with the other cup of coco.  She flung open the back door to our deck outside.  There was fire in our fire bowl and Mom and Dad were bundled up, hot chocolate in their hands. 
“What are we doing?” I asked. 
“Celebrating the first snow!”  My mom cheered with Dad smiling next to her.
We stood out there in the cold, the first snowflakes of the season hitting our cheeks.  We talked, laughed, drank our coco, ate out donuts and started a tradition that has lasted for 24 years.  Without fail you would see our little family of four out on our deck, snow falling, treats in hand, and fire warming our toes.  This is one of the great traditions our family shares and this season is the first season that I will get to pass our “first snow fall celebration” on to my children.  My little Anna turned six years old this last July.
Bring on the FLAKES!”
Crystal P. ~ Duluth, Minn.       

No comments:

Post a Comment