Monday, October 18, 2010

a beautiful warrior

A while back Reader's Digest held a beautiful warriors comtenst and asked people to send in their stories of brave breast cancer suvivors.  I was reading through these stories and this one caught me.  It is amzing the strength that these women have!
Beautiful Warrior: Carol Walker
Nominated by: Renee Wolfe
This is about my dearest friend, Carol Walker. We've known each other since 1961 and have shared so many life events. After numerous tests and surgery, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in October 1990. When Carol, who lives in Houston, Texas, found out, she took the next flight to Atlanta, Georgia and spent long hours with me at the hospital.

When I came home, she cooked, took me to the doctor and ran errands. She was an angel. In 2004, I found out that my mother, who lived in San Antonio, had terminal liver cancer. I went to be with her, but could not stay long because of job and financial constraints. Carol would drive from Houston to San Antonio (over 200 miles) monthly to check on her and bring goodies and clothing. Mother called Carol her "other daughter." She helped make my Mother's last months brighter.

Then, in May 2005, Carol was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a shock to everyone, because we all felt that Carol was indestructible. Carol endured massive does of chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery, and still managed to go back to work. She also took care of her mother after a hip surgery in late 2005, all while undergoing chemo. She always thinks of others, even when she is exhausted. Carol is my inspiration, a person who won't allow bad circumstances to get her down. She is a true "beautiful warrior."

No comments:

Post a Comment